Unicheck can be integrated into Blackboard v.3300 and higher.
Integration procedure comprises two parts:
1. Creating integration in Unicheck Admin Account.
2. Adding Unicheck app in Blackboard.
PART 1: Creating Integration in Unicheck Admin Account
Go to https://unicheck.com/login/education and log in to your Unicheck Admin account. Then go to Integration → Create New.
STEP 1: Name the integration
Click Create Integration under the Blackboard icon, then choose a name for the integration (e.g., “Blackboard”), and click Next Step.
STEP 2: Review integration settings
Review the default integration settings (only Administrator can change them).
Recommended settings are shown on the images below.
- Store original documents.
If the setting is ON, instructors will be able to download originally submitted files. If the setting is OFF, originally submitted documents will be unavailable, but their content (text) will still be stored in the user’s local database and used by Unicheck for comparison with other submissions.
- Show custom logo in Unicheck Reports.
Click Upload to upload a logo to be displayed in Online and PDF similarity reports. Recommended file formats: PNG or JPG. You do not need to crop or resize the picture before uploading it.
- Exclude Quotes & References.
If this option is enabled, Unicheck will search and highlight in-text citations and references (APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, Harvard).
Excluding quotes means highlighting them in the submitted document. Detected quotes will not be checked for plagiarism.
Excluding references means highlighting them in the submitted document. Detected references will not be checked for plagiarism.
- Exclude sources.
This filter allows to automatically exclude matched sources based on the set parameters. The minimum value for “Words” is “8” (set a higher value to omit sources with longer matches). Sources with combined matched word count less than the set value will be excluded.
- Student's precheck.
If this option is enabled, the default student precheck setting will be set to ON. Instructors will be able to allow draft submissions. With this option, students can check their submissions before submitting the final version. Instructors will still be able to switch the setting OFF.
- Number of drafts to check.
Set the maximum number of draft submissions prior to final submission. Instructors can change this value.
- Precheck only.
Enable this setting to let instructors configure any particular assignment exclusively for student precheck.
- Show similarity reports to students.
Enable this setting to let students access their similarity reports.
Click Next Step.
STEP 3: Generate API keys
Your API credentials are generated automatically (you may copy them later). Consumer Key and Consumer Secret will be needed while adding Unicheck app in Blackboard LMS.
Click Finish and then click View Active Integrations.
After the integration setup is over, you will see a newly created integration in the list of active integrations. Take note of Consumer key, Consumer secret (Shared secret) and Launch URL (you may return to this view to copy these keys later).
STEP 4: Review instructor permissions
Click Permissions under your integration's name and review the default instructor permissions. Recommended settings are shown on the images below.
Important: Set Grade submissions from Unicheck Report interface to ON to allow grading student submissions directly in Unicheck Assignment and Unicheck Report without going to Blackboard Gradebook. Grades will be automatically saved in Blackboard Gradebook.
PART 2: Adding Unicheck App in Blackboard
STEP 1: Configure global properties
In Blackboard, go to Administrator Panel → LTI Tool Providers → Manage Global Properties and configure settings as suggested below.
Set Allow configured tool providers to post grades to YES to allow grading student submissions directly in Unicheck Assignment and Unicheck Report without going to Blackboard Gradebook. Grades will be automatically saved in Blackboard Gradebook.
(1) We recommend selecting Send user data only over SSL.
(2) In User Fields to Send section, we recommend selecting all the options (Role in Course, Name, Email Address).
If selecting these options is not allowed by your institution's policy, select these options in LTI Tool Provider settings during STEP 2 (see below).
STEP 2: Register Unicheck.com provider domain
- Go to Administrator Panel → LTI Tool Providers → Register Provider Domain.
- Copy/paste corplti.unicheck.com into Provider Domain field.
- Select Set globally in Default Configuration (recommended).
- Insert the Key and Secret that were generated during STEP 3 of creating the integration into Tool Provider Key and Tool Provider Secret fields.
Note: You may find these API keys in the list of active integrations in your Unicheck account.
- Copy/paste auto_grade=0 into Tool Provider Custom Parameters field if you do not want to enable Unicheck Auto-Grading (recommended).
If auto_grade=1, Unicheck will automatically calculate a grade (originality coefficient) based on similarity score and total points available for the assignment. Unicheck grades will be displayed in Blackboard Gradebook.
- Select Send User Data only over SSL.
- In User Fields to Send section, select all the options (Role in Course, Name, Email Address).
Note: Role in Course and Email Address parameters must be selected for the Unicheck app to work.
Click Submit to save the settings.
STEP 3: Create placement
This is the final step for adding the Unicheck app to the list of content options in Blackboard.
Go to Administrator Panel → LTI Tool Providers and find corplti.unicheck.com in the list of LTI Tool Providers.
In the context menu, click Manage Placements. Then click Create Placement.
- In the Label field, type the name of the Unicheck LTI tool (e.g., "Unicheck assignment"). Users will see this name when selecting the Unicheck app from the drop-down menu in Course → Content → Build Content.
- In the Handle field, type any unique name to identify placement. This will become a database entry and will not be visible to users.
Select Course content tool in the Type section and tick the Allows grading checkbox. This will allow grading student submissions directly in Unicheck Assignment and Unicheck Report without going to Blackboard Gradebook. Grades will be automatically saved in Blackboard Gradebook.
Note: The interface of Blackboard v.3300 is shown on the image below.
- Copy Launch URL, which can be found in the list of active integrations in your Unicheck account (see STEP 3 of creating the integration), and paste it into Tool Provider URL field.
Tool Provider Key, Tool Provider Secret and Tool Provider Custom Parameters fields should be populated automatically based on the fields filled in during the previous step.
- Click Submit to create content placement.
Integration has been created. Now Unicheck can be used in Blackboard!
TESTING THE INTEGRATION
STEP 1: Create a Unicheck assignment in Blackboard
- Go to a Blackboard course and select Unicheck app from the drop-down menu in Course → Content → Build Content.
- Fill in the Name field (and, optionally, other fields).
- In assignment properties, set Enable Evaluation to YES in order to test grading of student submissions directly from Unicheck Assignment and Unicheck Report.
STEP 2: Open the newly created assignment
If you can see the assignment page as shown on the image below, then Unicheck app is working!
STEP 3: Test the grading feature
This step is to verify that you can grade student submissions directly from Unicheck Assignment and Unicheck Report.
- Log in as a student, navigate to the assignment, click Add files to upload a file, and then click Final Submission. Unicheck Report is generated within a few minutes upon submission.
- Log in as Administrator / Instructor and go to the assignment page.
- Enter a grade into the grading field and hit Enter on your keyboard.
Note: If you cannot save a grade, please refer to the Troubleshooting section.
Another option is to enter a grade in the Unicheck Report.
- Go to Grade Center → Full Grade Center and check whether the grade you submitted has been saved in Blackboard.
TROUBLESHOOTING (GRADING FEATURE)
The grading feature allows instructors to grade student submissions directly in Unicheck Assignment and Unicheck Report without going to Blackboard Gradebook. Grades will be automatically saved in Blackboard Gradebook.
If grading is not enabled properly, you will see an error message and will not be able to submit grades.
Please ensure that grading is enabled in all of the following settings:
1. Instructor permissions in your Unicheck Admin Account.
- Go to https://unicheck.com/login/education and log in using the details of your Unicheck Admin account.
- Go to the Integration section, find your Integration in the list of active integrations and click Permissions.
- Grade submissions from Unicheck Report interface should be enabled.
2. Global properties in Blackboard.
Please ensure that grading is enabled as described in STEP 1: Configure global properties.
3. Placement settings in Blackboard.
Please ensure that grading is enabled as described in STEP 3: Create placement.
4. Assignment settings in Blackboard.
Ensure that Enable Evaluation is set to YES.
After enabling grading at all the steps described above, create a new assignment and make a new submission to test the grading feature (or make a new submission in the same assignment using a different student account).