The new Ignore Text feature allows instructors to ignore irrelevant text in the Unicheck Report.
One of the most common use cases is when students receive a template from their instructor to fill in (e.g., a case study or a test with multiple questions). In such a case, only the text written by the students should be checked for similarity, while the template text should be ignored.
What happens when I ignore text in the Unicheck Report?
- The text marked as “Ignored” is not checked for similarity, nor for being a citation/reference.
- Similarity score is recalculated, as the ignored text is excluded from the word count.
- The text marked as “Ignored” is marked with
What is the difference from "excluding a matched source"?
Ignored text is completely disregarded and excluded from the word count.
When you exclude a source or a group of sources, all the text associated with it is not checked for similarity but remains in the word count. Text associated with an excluded source may still appear highlighted as a match if it is also found in another source that has not been excluded.
What do students see?
The same similarity report as instructors (with
strikethrough formatting of ignored text) and updated similarity score. They see that the text is not taken into account by instructor, even if it was previously considered a similarity, citation, or reference.
How do I ignore text?
- Select any text segment and click Ignore on the popup that appears.
- Repeat this action for other text segments if required and click Update Score. Similarity score will be updated immediately.
Can ignored text be restored?
Yes, ignored text can be restored at any time.
- Click on any ignored text and then click Restore on the popup that appears.
- Repeat this action for other text segments if required or click Restore All to restore all ignored text segments.
- Click Update Score. Similarity score will be updated immediately.
How do I find ignored text?
Ignored text is highlighted with
strikethrough formatting in the Unicheck Report. There is no separate list of ignored text segments.
We are working on improved indication and navigation so that you could always find ignored text easily.
- Do I actually edit the original document?
No, Unicheck does not edit or delete anything from the original document. The changes are only visible in the Unicheck Report.
Will ignored text in one report affect the same text in other reports?
No, the text is only ignored in the current report. If the same text has to be ignored in multiple reports, you need to do it individually for each report.
Who can ignore text?
Only instructors and administrators.
I have ignored some text – can I see the updated word count?
Not yet, but we are working on it!
Currently, the word count you see in the Unicheck Report is always the initial one. However, similarity score is always calculated based on the updated word count that changes in accordance with the text you ignore.