Unicheck is a plagiarism checker. It verifies the originality of submitted texts or documents and delivers detailed similarity reports to instructors and students.
Unicheck can be integrated into Canvas LMS and used by instructors in Canvas Assignment activity. After a student submits an assignment, instructor receives a comprehensive similarity report, which becomes available within a few minutes.
Please refer to our Unicheck Report Guide for details on design and functionality of the Unicheck Report.
Integration procedure comprises two parts:
1. Creating integration in Unicheck Admin Account (at corp.unicheck.com).
2. Adding Unicheck app in Canvas.
1. Creating Integration
Go to https://unicheck.com/login/education and log in to your Unicheck Admin account. Then go to Integration → Create New.
Follow the steps below to create the integration:
STEP 1: Click Create Integration under the Canvas Plagiarism Framework icon, then choose a name for the integration (e.g., “Canvas Plagiarism Framework”), and click Next Step.
STEP 2: Review default integration settings and click Next Step.
- Store Files in Original Format
If the setting is ON, instructors will be able to download originally submitted files. If the setting is OFF, originally submitted documents will be unavailable, but their content (text) will still be stored in the user’s local database and used by Unicheck for comparison with other submissions.
- Show custom logo in Unicheck Reports
Click Upload and select a logo to be displayed in Online and PDF versions of similarity reports. Recommended file formats: PNG and JPG.
- Exclude Quotes and References
If this option is enabled, Unicheck will search and highlight in-text citations and references (APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, Harvard).
Excluding quotes means highlighting them in the submitted document. Detected quotes will not be checked for plagiarism.
Excluding references means highlighting them in the submitted document. Detected references will not be checked for plagiarism.
- Exclude Sources
This filter allows to automatically exclude matched sources based on the set parameters. The minimum value for “Words” is “8”. Sources with combined matched word count less than the set value will be excluded.
- Exclude Self-Plagiarism in the Course
If this option is enabled, Unicheck will not compare student submissions with previous submissions made by the same student within the course.
STEP 3: Copy and save Registration URL. You will need it while adding Unicheck app in Canvas LMS.
Click Finish. Now you need to set up the Unicheck app in Canvas.
2. Adding Unicheck App in Canvas
STEP 1: Log in to Canvas LMS as administrator and navigate to the account, sub-account or course you want to enable Unicheck for. You may create multiple integrations if required.
Integrating Unicheck with your institution’s top-level account will enable Unicheck for all accounts, sub-accounts, and courses at your institution.
STEP 2: Go to Settings → Apps and click View App Configurations.
STEP 3: From Configuration Type drop-down list select By LTI 2 Registration URL.
Paste Registration URL that was copied during STEP 3 of Creating Integration and then click Launch Registration Tool.
Note: You may also find the Registration URL of your integration by visiting the Integration section at corp.unicheck.com.
Once everything is set up correctly, you will see a dialogue window confirming that Unicheck is ready to be enabled in Canvas. Click Enable to finish the integration process.
Testing the Integration
STEP 1: Create a new assignment in Canvas LMS.
In Canvas assignment settings, select Online from Submission Type drop-down list, then tick File Uploads or Text Entry.
STEP 2: Select the Unicheck option from the Plagiarism Review drop-down list.
STEP 3: Modify Unicheck default settings if necessary and click Save & Publish at the bottom of the page.
STEP 4: Wait several minutes and make a test submission within the newly created assignment. To make a submission, go to Settings → Student View or log in as a Student.
STEP 5: Exit Student View or log in as Administrator / Instructor and go to SpeedGrader.
Unicheck Report is generated within a few minutes after a student submits a document within a Canvas assignment. When you open the document in SpeedGrader, you will see a colored similarity score indicator next to a file name, which means that the Unicheck Report is ready. Click on the similarity score indicator to view the online report.
Note: If you make a submission right away after assignment setup, Canvas Plagiarism Framework might not launch an automatic plagiarism check for the submitted file. To launch the check manually, open SpeedGrader and click Resubmit to Unicheck next to the file name.
Managing Integrations in Unicheck Admin Account (at corp.unicheck.com)
After your integration has been set up, you can access it in the list of active integrations at Integration → Active. Click Disable if you want to disable any particular integration. Such integration will appear under Disabled tab and can be enabled at any time.
To adjust instructor permissions, click Permissions.
Managing Integrations in Canvas
To disable or delete an integration, log in to Canvas LMS as administrator and select the required account, sub-account or course.
Go to Settings → Apps and click View App Configurations. Click the icon to the right of the integration name and select the required option from the drop-down menu.
Unicheck can also be integrated into Canvas beta environment (for US users only) by following the same steps as described in Adding Unicheck App in Canvas.
Canvas administrators and instructors can access the beta environment by adding beta in their Canvas URL (e.g., yourinstitution.beta.instructure.com).
Learn more about Canvas beta environment here.
Please follow the steps below to reinstall the integration:
1. Log in to Canvas LMS as administrator and select the required account, sub-account or course.
2. Go to Settings → Apps and click View App Configurations.
3. Click the icon to the right of the integration name and select Delete from the drop-down menu.
4. Create a new integration as described in Integration Procedure.
Account or Sub-Account Level
Reinstalling integration on account or sub-account level will not affect the access to all previous reports contained within such account or sub-account.
Important: To make a safe reinstall, first delete the old app and then install the new one.
If you first install the new app and then delete the old one, previous reports will not be accessible. In such a case, to access past reports, you need to manually edit the settings of each assignment and enable the freshly installed app.
After reinstalling integration on the course level, access to previous reports contained within such a course will not be accessible.
Shared Libraries (Associations)
Unicheck offers its users an option to share libraries between different institution accounts. This means that plagiarism search/comparison can be conducted across submissions stored in two or more associated accounts.
Associations can be useful, for example, when several branches of the same institution have separate accounts, and the institution wants to search across submissions made by students in all its branches.
Another example is an institution that has an agreement with other institutions to expand plagiarism search and share libraries on a mutually beneficial basis.
For any Association member, Unicheck does not provide access to documents stored in another Association member’s library. Unicheck only highlights matched segments in the submitted document and displays the following information related to the matched document: Institution’s Name, File ID, Submission Date.
Please contact the Unicheck Team or Account Manager to request this service.
Unicheck’s Canvas Course Extension allows instructors and students to use additional functionality offered by Unicheck directly in their Canvas environments. It can be installed on any specific Canvas course. Installing the extension on your institution’s top-level account will enable it for all accounts, sub-accounts, and courses at your institution.
Tip: You may add multiple extensions if required (e.g., if you want to apply different extension settings to specific courses).
With the extension installed,
- Manually upload and check files for similarity.
- Set the number of self-check attempts and review self-checked submissions.
- Check their papers for similarity prior to final submission.
To set up Unicheck’s Canvas Course Extension, go to https://unicheck.com/login/education and log in to your Unicheck Admin account. Then go to Integration → Create New → Set Up Extension (Canvas Course Extension).
STEP 1: Start Setup
- Choose a name (e.g., “Course Extension”), and click Next Step. The name will be only visible to the administrator in the list of integrations.
- Leave the Unicheck account tab active in your browser and open a new tab.
STEP 2: Add Unicheck’s Extension in Canvas
Log in to Canvas LMS as administrator.
- In Canvas: Click Developer Keys → +Developer Key → +LTI Key, then select the “Paste JSON” method from the drop-down menu.
- In Unicheck account: Copy the Redirect URL and paste it into the Redirect URLs field in Canvas.
Optional: It is recommended to copy the name you entered during STEP 1 and paste it in the KEY FIELD in Canvas.
- In Unicheck account: Copy Config JSON and paste it into LTI 1.3 Configuration field in Canvas.
- In Canvas: Select the “Manual Entry” method from the drop-down menu, then scroll down to the “LTI Advantage Services” section and ensure that all the services are enabled. Click Save.
- In Unicheck account: Click Next Step to proceed to Step 3.
STEP 3: Continue adding Unicheck’s Extension in Canvas
- In Canvas:
(1) Enable the newly created LTI Developer Key on the Developer Keys page (it should be switched ON in the State column).
(2) Copy the key from the Details column and paste it into the Client ID field on the Unicheck account page.
- In Canvas: Navigate to the account, sub-account or course you want to enable the extension for, then go to Settings → Apps → View App Configuration → +App. Select By Client ID from the Configuration Type drop-down menu and paste the Client ID (see above) into the Client ID field, then click Submit. The newly added app will appear under the Apps tab in Canvas.
- In Canvas: click the cogwheel icon to the right of the newly added app and select Deployment ID from the drop-down menu. Copy the Deployment ID and paste it into the Deployment ID field on the Unicheck account page.
- In Canvas: copy your Canvas domain from the URL bar of your browser without “https://” (e.g.,[university_name].instructure.com] and paste it into the Domain field on the Unicheck account page. Click Next Step.
Unicheck’s Course Extension has been installed!
STEP 4 (Optional): Configure the options available to instructors and students that use the extension.
- Page limit for instructors
Set the maximum number of pages that instructors can check for similarity using the extension.
- Self-Checks by students
Set the default number of self-check attempts per assignment. Instructors can change this setting on the course level or individually for any assignment.
- Show custom logo in Unicheck similarity reports
Your logo can be displayed in Online and PDF versions of similarity reports. Supported formats: PNG and JPG.
- Exclude quotes and references
Unicheck will highlight properly formatted quotes and references (APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, Harvard). Detected quotes and references will not be checked for plagiarism.
- Exclude sources
Automatically exclude sources from similarity reports based on set parameters.